When we’re young we’re taught the distinction between what is made for boys and what for girls. So much so that when we grow up we commonly associate pink with femininity and blue with masculinity.
But what if we told you not everyone feels represented with these interpretations?
Today we welcome Matthew Herman, the co-founder of Boy Smells – a brand that isn’t intended for one gender but that rather embraces the masculine and feminine flow, and everything in between.
Graduated from Central Saint Martins art school in London, UK, Matthew has worked with multiple fashion brands in both Europe and the U.S. including Zac Posen and fast fashion company, Nasty Gal.
“Don’t put me in a box when it comes to defining us as a category.”
– Matthew Herman
Today’s conversation is affable and inspiring, to say the least. Matthew has undoubtedly managed to build a successful business while celebrating identity beyond limited constructs. Not only does he see beauty through a very innovative and inclusive lens, but he knows the importance of living by what the brand stands for as a factor of its success.
Throughout the conversation, you’ll hear our guest talk about his previous experience in the fashion industry, fun anecdotes about the company’s early days, the DNA process of the brand, what a typical day looks like for him as a beauty business owner, and much more.
This enriching episode is filled with great tips and perspectives for those in the journey of beauty and fashion entrepreneurship. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Thank you for tuning in! If you haven’t listened to episode 10 where Neri and beauty entrepreneur Noelly Michoux chat about beauty, diversity, and innovation, then go back and check it out!
Also, don’t forget to check out our 3 in 3 episodes released after our interviews where Neri shares her knowledge and expertise!
In this episode, we cover:
– How the idea of Boy Smells came to be.
– What the term Genderful means.
– How Matthew and his partner overcame challenges early on.
– Escalating and building a team.
– What the comfort economy is.
– Living and breathing your brand as the foundation of your business.
– Similarities and differences between beauty and fashion.
Resources and links mentioned during this episode:
– Check out Boy Smells at www.boysmells.com and follow them on Instagram @boy__smells.
– Book: #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso.
Connect with Neri:
– Follow Neri on Instagram @nerikarraworld and @modametiers.
– Visit modametiers.com and check out our services, resources, and previous work.
– Enjoying what you hear? Follow and leave a review HERE.